My Family & Other Animals

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

"Eight Letters, Three Words, One Meaning...."

So the answer is revealed. The song title in question (from my previous blog entry - below) is Take That's '8 Letters, 3 Words, 1 Meaning' a particular favourite of mine from their Progress album and as previously stated, the lyrics associated with this track (You Can Look Back But Don't Stare) are definately going to be my next tattoo, all I need now is a decent font to put it in.

I really loved making the above card and it came to me so easily, something I don't always find when I make a card. I keep seeing everyones beautiful creations when I am on commenting duty and I come away feeling really inadequate sometimes. I know where my strengths lie, I am a decent enough colourer of images, I know about light and shade and hopefully I know a good colour combo but I don't always know what to do with the image once it's coloured and maybe this is where I am going wrong.
Please don't ever think I am fishing for compliments here, that's not my style at all. If you knew me (well) you would know how insecure I am, nothing is ever good enough and I am very rarely happy with a finished card. When Jo goes gushy over one then I know I've done a REALLY good job, she is my barometer for most finished cards. I think I will give the 'other' way a try for a while and see how that works out for me. By the 'other' way I mean choosing my papers first and then colouring my image but if I am honest with you I don't think this will work for me as I let the image 'speak' to me when it is on paper and uncoloured, I find this is the only way I can choose what colours to use on the image, it kind of tells me what colours to use and then I try and match my papers up with the finished product.
This card is for the latest challenge on the I ♥ ProMarkers blog and this week s sponsor is my favourite lady of craft - Joanna Sheen, check out the blog to see what she is giving as a prize to the lucky winner of this weeks challenge - Spots and Stripes. I got my backing papers free with Scrapbook magazine ages and ages ago and held on to them because I just knew they would work with Magnolia stamps (and now I know I was right!!). The papers come from Serif and they are lovely pastel colours which matched my stamped image perfectly. The only thing that annoys me with this card is that the Boutique stamp is a little on the wonky side, apart from that I think I created a really nice little scene (darn it, just had a thought, the Eiffel tower would have looked cool too behind the Tilda on the scooter - Oh well, never mind eh!).
So that's me for another few days.
Stay Golden,
Andy
xx
Entered Into: 365 Cards Challenge #155 - Smothered in Crafty Goodness
Case Study Challenge #102 - Signature Style (CSC102)
Crafty Ribbons Challenge #25 - Spots and Stripes
Digi Doodle Shop's Best Challenge #119 - Ribbons and Bows
Do You Stack Up Challenge Blog #83 - Polka Dots
Hanna And Her Friends Challenge #151 - Summer
DRS Designs Challenge #36 - Dogs
Moving Along With The Times Challenge #157 - Summer
Paper Crafting Journey Challenge - Anything Goes

23 comments:

  1. WOW!! This is one stunning card Andy. I adore the image and your colouring is fantastic. The papers and embellishments all work together so well.
    You really don't need to feel inadequate - your cards are wonderful (in my humble opinion). Mind you I know how you feel, when I looks at other peoples stunning creations I almost feel embarrassed at my attempts.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic card Andy! I love how you left the background white - it really makes the images pop. Your layout is wonderful! I do it the same way you do - color first and then pick papers but it's mostly because I'm not around my papers when I'm coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone feels that way ( you certainly don't need to!) I am always surprised if someone makes as fuss over a card.
    I also colour first and then choose the papers - never really thought about doing it any other way. Maybe i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card Andy, proud to be with you this month as GDT
    Hugs Ginny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheeeesh. You miss a day and oh my does it take ages to catch up.
    Great card Andy I can see why you are proud of it. Beautiful colouring and great design. Love that ribbon... hmmmm you letting your feminine side show a little :)
    All men do have them you know (She says with a deep voice showing her masculine side) haha.
    Couldn't do a deep voice if I tried, not that I squeak of course. Girl with a good Wearside accent here.
    Now to take you to task... lol.. think your comment really put the kybosh on my card hehe... good job I do it for fun and not for winning. Don't worry I am a 'Promarker' and will continue to submit entries.
    Keep up your winning ways... and your humour... glad I was right with the (8 letters)
    Eileen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous Andy! what a wonderful scene you've created and your colouring is beautiful !! it's like a Summer's Day in Paris...the papers and embellies are stunning... I love those scrummy flowers!
    I prefer to colour my images and then find papers to fit... I don't know why but they always come out better when I do it that way...
    Thanks for joining us at MAWTT for my 'Summer' theme and Good Luck in the Challenge!
    Hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! I love how you combined the digis to create the scene, its so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and pretty, delightful card!! Big thanks for joining us at CASE Study :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one gorgeous card!!! Your coloring is superb. I love the layout with the bunches of flowers and beautiful bow in the corners. Thanks for playing along in this week's challenge at DRS Designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card!
    Thanks for joining us at 365cards!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing card Andy. Love the little scene. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Ribbons.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning card Andy. Love your colouring and Tilda stamps. Great bow. Thanks for joining in this weeks Challenge at Digi Doodle Shop Challenges. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW what a lovely card, love your images and scene, thanks for joining our challenge at Digi doodle shop, hope to see you again, Gaynor xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the little details

    kitten - DYU team

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute images and wonderful colouring! Thanks for joining us at CASE study this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just adorable! Love all the flowers. Thanks for playing along with us at Digi Doodle Shop!

    xx Star (DDS DT)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! I totally wish I could color like you do! This is fantastic! Thanks for joining us on our first week of our 2nd Year Anniversary Blog Hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Andy,
    What a beautiful little scene you have created here! A Magnolia Lover's Dream! :-) I'm the opposite; I HAVE to start with a sketch. First I choose my papers and then I get to colouring. Good thing we're all different!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your card is simply stunning! Your colouring is amazing and I really love all those flowers!

    Thanks so much for joining us at Hanna & Friends.

    Hugs, Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons. Good luck and hope to see you again.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fabulous Andy, I love Tilda and you have done her proud!
    Thanks for playing at MAWTT this week for our Summer challenge, hope you will join us again soon
    Hugs Laurie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love, love, love your card. Such beautiful colours and great design. I can see why you were happy with how it turned out, it's awesome! :)

    Thanks for playing with us at Crafty ribbons! Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, I welcome constructive criticism.