My Family & Other Animals

Sunday 11 November 2012

"I Want To Tell You..."

So a fond farewell was said to my work colleague James on Thursday afternoon but having worked a five hour shift before hand I was unable to make the service. I usually get home on a Thursday and can barely even move let alone get ready to go out again. I don't think Jim would have cared one little bit though, he knew how bad my back is and he was a very forgiving man too.
The good news is that I am now on holiday for two weeks - Woo Hoo! Jo and I went to visit my mum yesterday and that was a particularly nice afternoon out, she seemed quite full of beans and a little less befuddled than usual, of course she did spend more time watching Doris Day in Calamity Jane than she did talking (having said that, me, Jo and my sister all ended up watching it with her in the end!! Seriously, who can resist Doris in that film!).
Tomorrow is going to be an early start to the day (something I really cannot handle) as Starglaze are coming to fit a new bedroom window. We have lived in this house for ten years this year and apart from this being the longest time I have EVER lived in one house, it has taken a long time for it to truly feel like ours. Having spent over 23 years in the Royal Air Force I got so used to moving every three to four years, when I finally left the RAF I kept waiting for the moving bug to start biting and it just never felt right, staying static is what other people do, not me! We have done all the typical things you do when you move in to your first (owned) home, gutted the kitchen, changed the wallpaper, laid new flooring etc but for some strange reason having the new window put in is the one thing that makes me feel like I am properly putting my stamp on my home. I have spent the last ten years feeling like I was paying a mortgage on someone else's behalf! and now it finally feels like our home.
When I first got married (to the practice wife) everyone in married quarters knew each other. Neighbours spent time with each other, when you were away on tour you could feel safe in the knowledge that your wife would both feel and be secure in their own home. Today is nothing like that and I think the country is worse off because of it. Had I not done a University project where I had to contact my neighbours to photograph them I don't think I would know more than two or three still today. As it stands, we live in a cul-de-sac with thirty houses in total and only ten of those bothered to reply to me! a few of the ones I actually knew have moved on and now I think I know less today than when we first moved in!! I always smile, say hello and try to engage with the people around me but when it is always a one way street eventually you just stop bothering all together. Such a shame as I thing life was a little nicer when you knew who lived next door and you knew that in a crisis there was someone close by with a helping hand.
Anyhoo, moan over and onto this weeks card (or notepad in my case) for the Kenny K Krafty Krew. The theme this week is Monochromatic, so I decided to colour Atlantea in (50) shades of greys using my favourite medium at the moment - my Copic collection.. I love this technique as it usually means you can then put the picture into any kind of background you want and it will always really pop. Rather than make the usual card though I fancied having a go at something a little different. It turned out okay I think and I look forward to making a few more 'different' things between now and Christmas.
One final word on the Papelitos debacle. I resigned from their DT as soon as I heard the rumours about the images true ownership and I never enven received a reply from the lady in charge, whatever her real name turns out to be. I felt sick at being duped into helping someone perpetrate this awful act of thievery and will be a lot more careful about which Teams I join in the future.
Take Care,
Hugs 'n Stuff
Andy
xx
Entered Into: Willow Sketchie Challenge: Sketch or Favourite Colouring Medium
Paper Crafting Journey Challenge - Anything Goes
Charisma Cardz Challenge #45 - Keep Your Cool
Craft Punked Challenge #46 - Anything Goes
Delicious Doodles Challenge #11 - Use Fabric Material

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy your two weeks!!! And I know what you mean about neighbors.. kinda sad. Half the time you smile and wave they quickly look away like they didn't see you LOL Oh well.. Gorgeous card!!! Love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this fabulous note book, the coloring is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy
    Love the fabby notebook. Great Colouring.
    Thanks for joining us at WSC this week.
    -Sony WSC-DT
    http://sonia-studio60.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project! Thanks for joining us at Craft Punked this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely. Thank you for sharing with us at Charisma Cardz. And good luck.

    Caz xx CC DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful.The mix of warm and cool tones really lifts the image and you've added some lovely details.Thanks for joining us at Willow Sketchie Challenge.Hope to see you again next week :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, I welcome constructive criticism.