My Family & Other Animals

Thursday 17 May 2012

"Love To Love You Baby..."

The BBC 6 O'Clock news has left me feeling very sad today. At only 63, Donna Summer lost her fight with cancer and the world lost one of the defining voices of a generation. She not only meant a lot to me, she meant a lot to the world of music. In 1977,  we were teetering on the edge of a music revolution. Punk was waiting in the wings, ready to shake up music charts that were being bogged down with terrible songs from the likes of Demis Roussos, Bernie Flint and (my own guilty pleasure, but still rubbish none the less!) David Soul. Slap Bang in the middle of this waiting uprising from the second wave of 'Youth' driven music was a brand new sound in the clubs - the sound of disco and at the forefront of that sound came the overtly sexy, throbbing beats of Giorgio Moroder produced music, sang by a woman who would later become uncomfortable with her own moaning and groaning. That woman was Donna Summer and she sang more than one song that has played a massive part in the forming of The Soundtrack To My Life.
We all have one, we just may not have actually started burning CD's with this soundtrack on them, playing over (so far...) 15 eighty minute discs. Now I know this is slightly off topic, what with this being a craft blog, but anyone who has followed me for any amount of time will know the crafty stuff comes at the end!
Back to Donna. My favourite track by her is Heaven Knows, a track that didn't even really bother the UK charts, it has all the things I love in a good song; soaring vocals, strings, a strong dance beat and a diva in full effect. Over the years I have played that song literally thousands of times and it sounds as good today as it ever has. I loved her duet with Barbra Streisand (No More Tears) Enough is Enough, her many 'comeback' songs - Dinner With Gershwin, She Works Hard For The Money, This Time I Know It's For Real and State of Independence. All of these songs will have a deeper meaning to me now that she has passed. Every time we lose someone who has given us a gift, even something as seemingly impersonal as a song, that person enters your life in a way you weren't even aware of until they are no longer there. I will miss you Donna but I'm sure you are up there now having a ball with MJ, Sylvester and all the other great proponents of dance music. Much Love x
Now, on to this weeks card and the challenge over at I ProMarkers is everyone's favourite "Anything Goes". Our sponsor is the very wonderful "The Paper Shelter", an on-line company that offer great digi images that not only come with the line art for you to colour but also the pre-coloured image and a background too, great value for money and a superb selection of great images. The finished card isn't one of my best, but I had a card already lined up and the goal posts were moved on us quite late in the day, but it's not the worst card I've ever made so that's why I have put it up, otherwise I would have just missed this weeks challenge altogether!
So I hope you like the card. If not, then I understand but next weeks card is a doozy, one I am really proud of, so can't wait to show you that.
Have a great week.
Take Care,
Andy
x
Entered Into: Stamps & Fun = Creativity Challenge #100 - Anything Goes
Stamps And Create Challenge: For The Ladies
Make It Monday Challenge: Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. What a stunning array of colour on your card Andy! Sad news about Donna summer too she was amazing hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply gorgeous Andy. I love your use of colour it is so refreshing. Beautiful pen work I must say.
    Hugs
    Clare
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andy
    Interesting post .
    Love the country feel to this card .Sweet image with great die cut frame Pretty background paper .
    Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Andy, it's a so gorgeous card and a wonderful coloring! Thanks for playing with us at SFC.
    XOXO Michi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andy

    Great post.

    Yes it is sad that we are losing some greats in the music and entertainment industry now and dare I say it, I'm not sure we have anyone of the same calibre coming up through the ranks either.

    Your card is gorgeous, such a sweet image. I love the pretty punched border at the bottom.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

    Michelle :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what can i say what a beautiful card, and the lay out and the way it is coloured is just stunning well done :) love bren manning

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, I welcome constructive criticism.