My Family & Other Animals

Wednesday 11 July 2012

"You Got Me Running Around In Circles Over You..."

Another day, another challenge! This time it's the turn of the I ♥ ProMarkers Challenge Blog and their theme this week is (drum-roll please...) Circles.
I had originally intended to make a card using the Olympic Rings and I had another Tilda all lined up and then we got a new sponsor - Nitwit Collections. Their papers are so gorgeous I just had to make a new card to go with the papers they gave me. They are called Fairytale Too (available here) and as with all the Nitwits papers, you get an amazing assortment that all match each other perfectly and that look really beautiful when printed out.
I had already coloured this Tilda and the lovely dragon and castle and fortunately they all matched the papers to perfection so this was a no-brainer really. As for the finished card, I don't hate it but it is A4 sized and I don't usually work within that size and I have to say I found it a little daunting. If you normally make 6x6 cards, going to A4 gives you so much more room to fill and I should have looked at it like a Scrapbook page as I suppose I would have found that a little easier to work with!! My reason for working on such a big card? I did the Tilda scene and that nearly filled a 6x6 alone so I had no choice really!! Anyway, it's done now and I will just have to live with it won't I!
I have been so busy of late it's been a little overwhelming for me as real life keeps creeping in on the craft world and I like to keep those two separate at all times. I had a doctors appointment yesterday and apart from getting weighed (a monthly thing that never seems to get any better!!) I was nervously awaiting a prostate exam as I had had to have blood taken last month as I have been having a few problems lately (it's all down to my age I'm sure). My back was really bad yesterday so I told the Doctor that unless it was absolutely necessary I was in no mood for a prostate exam unless 100% necessary "Don't worry" he says "I have little fingers"!!!
How bad is that?? Anyway, I didn't need an exam because my blood came back okay so that was a massive relief. Then he dropped the bombshell that my blood test revealed I am on the verge of Diabetes and need to have another test to make sure I'm now not a diabetic. I'm still in a little bit of shock about this one because it's not something I have every really thought about before, even though most of my wife's family are diabetic and I have a nephew who has to inject himself daily. So keep your fingers crossed for me that when I have my next blood test it comes out okay.
Of course I know exactly why I am on the verge. I keep putting weight on and just can't seem to do anything about it. My back is now so bad I can barely walk and have to take the car everywhere I go, so exercise is really limited. I could swim, but I refuse to get into a pool where people are going to stare at the whale wearing the Bermuda shorts! I am so self conscious now, I am beginning to feel like a shut-in. Thank God we have no full-length mirrors in our house or I would probably get the Dyson out and use it's extra-strength suction pipe to remove the world's largest muffin top. I never had a weight problem as a kid, it only started when I got married the first time and I had to eat chips with everything because that was all my first wife could cook! Since then I have struggled with my weight and now I am the size of a small housing estate in Carmarthon I am beginning to panic as I feel I am literally now at tipping point! I work at it every day and hopefully one day I will get it under control before it finally does me in.
And on that bombshell I am going to say ta ta and get back to work on my next little work of art. Kenny K is next and I am already really happy with the final coloured image so it's just a case of putting it all together now.
See you again really soon, take care
Andy
xx

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card take care Carolinexxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooooo A4, this really is a big one, but you have filled the space perfectly. Love that dragon. I bought these papers a while ago to go with a SC image, but still haven't used them yet, lol, like a lot of other things.
    Glad your prostate is okay and hope you blood sugar levels come back ok. I know how hard it is to loose weight, but managed to get a couple of stones off before I had back surgery and fortunately they have stayed off. Diabetes is just something lots of people live with, I do, I just take the pills and ignore it, not really something a nurse should say, but it works for me.
    Keep up the good work
    Eileen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy,
    A wonderful card as usual from you love the image and the papers and colour are great.

    Best of luck with the blood test and don't be to hard on yourself.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get ready for a long one Andy :)I have to reply to 3 lovely comments you left for me.
    I too think of you as a friend and always look forward to seeing your creations. You say it's just the internet, but I will let you into a secret, I was seriously into chat rooms when MSN still had them and made lots of friends from all over the country. We even used to go away for weekends together as a huge group lol 'meets'. I even went to 3 weddings where the couples had met on line. 2 of them are still going strong.
    I am amazed that you have Prisma pencils and haven't used them yet. Have you seen Bev Rochesters tutorials on colouring? After viewing it I had to have them, bought 36 then wanted more and got the 120 tin. After applying them where you want more shading you blend with Sansodor using a blending stump and voila... more depth, they work really well with Promarkers and Flexmarkers.
    Smiling here about how much card and paper I have :) it't taking over my house. Like you I hated cutting into my 12 x 12 but then one day got out the guillotine and made lots of them 6 x 6 which I store in 'Really Useful' shoeboxes that I get from Staples, they hold loads and keep them curl free. I have them grouped in colours and can usually find something to use.
    If I can't find the right colour I have loads, and I mean loads of cd's and then of course I have Nitwits and Paper Shelter downloads. I often print papers off because I like them and then need more and have the devil of a job remembering where I got it from.
    You ask if I colour first and then find the paper or choose papers first and I have to admit it's a bit of both, but often coloured first as I have a little pile coloured and waiting to be made up.
    I was smiling about the Crafters Companion tip, I am a gold member (15% discount and free postage) I put an order in yesterday for Prima flowers which are in their summer sale, won't say how many I ordered :)
    The Glamour Dust I use if by DecoArt and I get it from my local craft shops, but most places sell it. I't much finer than stickles and goes on great with a Quickie glue pen or Art Glitter glue for large areas.
    Phew..... told you it was a long one :) Hope that answered all your questions.
    Keep up the good work, I love your cards
    Eileen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute card Andrew! I love the paper you used for the little clouds and the layout is great. Will be saying prayers for you regarding your blood work - diabetes isn't something to mess around with!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, I welcome constructive criticism.